Photos by Jacqueline Bosscher (two photos by Steffen Burggraaf)
Clovelly Art Deco apartment
Our renovation of a small Art Deco apartment in one of Sydney's most coveted beach-side suburbs, Clovelly, resulted in a perfect little gem. Set on the sunny northern side at the back of a lovely Art Deco block, it is light, private and quiet, with bedroom views out to the garden shaded by large avocado trees. Aesthetics, function and sustainability were carefully considered in equal measure, with the restoration of key features and addition of top quality, sustainable fixtures and fittings. High ceilings, generous windows and beautiful custom lighting provide light and space. Natural timber, brass, quality ceramic tiles, recycled glass bench tops, linen and leather add layers of texture and warmth whilst staying neutral and calm.
Upon entry, a cedar batten screen with bench seat, custom art deco light and coat hooks provides a spot to offload keys/coats/shoes/masks. Moving through to the sitting area with vintage Danish modernist pendant light and large window, there is plenty of light and space to enjoy lounging. Custom bench seating has cushions filled with waste foam covered in sustainable leather and recycled polyester. A dining/working-from-home corner with its own vintage Art Deco pendant light, beside the renovated Tasmanian Oak mantlepiece, completes the living area.
The kitchen leads off the living space, with renovated pine floor and another large window. Featuring brand new cabinetry and shelving, recycled glass bench tops, best quality brass tapware, ceramic tile splashback, and all electric, energy efficient appliances, the kitchen is light, functional and peaceful. Another cedar screen houses the fridge whilst allowing sight lines from the living area to a palm tree outside.
The bedroom off the dining area looks out to a verdant garden shaded by two avocado trees. It is spacious, with plenty of floor to ceiling storage. The small ensuite packs a big punch. The large format ceramic tiles cover floor and walls, glass shower enclosure, best quality brass tapware, a custom terracotta-coloured concrete sink and vintage Art Deco wall light all give the small space a large dash of luxury.
Window boxes were added to all windows for growing herbs and other greenery.
Featured artwork by British artist Matthew Poskitt made from waste cardboard. Instagram @poskittmatt
Vintage silk scarf in bedroom by Louis Féraud. Instagram @louisféraudofficial
Building work & custom timber screen/bench seat construction by Life Structures, thanks especially to Giordy & Mark. Electrical work by our friend Mick at Electricus. Plumbing by our friend Shayne from B&PHI Plumbing. Upholstery by Improvision Design, whom we thank for being so helpful in experimenting with recycled foam.
Sustainable elements & materials
• Ceramic Porcelanosa tiles – Global GreenTag Platinum rating, low VOC
• Nood Co concrete sink – less embodied energy than a porcelain sink, made in Perth to order only
• Entry & kitchen timber screens – Global GreenTag Platinum rating cedar battens, FSC Oak half-dowels, finished in natural, VOC free oil
• Betta Stone benchtops - made from 99% Victorian recycled glass in Victoria
• Faucet Strommen brushed brass tapware – designed & made in regional Victoria in a fully solar-powered factory, lead-free brass, smart low-flow technology
• LED lighting & reuse/upcycling of vintage fittings
• Natural, no VOC paint & finishing oils throughout
• Induction cooktop – efficient, low energy consumption appliance
• Custom linen curtains
• Vintage furniture
• Custom bench seating made from FSC timber, cushions made from waste foam covered in Pelle leather with Global GreenTag Level B rating & Kvadrat Maharam 68% recycled polyester fabric
• Restored Tasmanian Oak mantlepiece finished in natural, VOC free oil
• Reused elements – existing kitchen pantry used to create utility cupboard in bedroom, existing bathroom swing door converted to a sliding door to maximise space
• All cardboard & soft plastic packaging recycled throughout renovation process, sawdust & wood shavings added to compost